Tuesday, August 10, 2004

IMHO

IMHO.

Nope. You'll never see me post that nor will you hear me say it.

My opinion is never humble. It's not that I'm always right (though my fallibility is a secret, so don't let it get out!); no, I just see no purpose expressing an opinion with any undue deference. If I have a disagreement with someone on a subject in which he is much better versed than I am, I will not offer an opinion at all, humble or not. I will ask many questions of him and defer to his superior knowledge. Even when I have an inclination toward one view or another, if I am not confident in my knowledge I will reverse judgment and learn from the masters. This is proper and avoids the embarrassment of proclaiming on issues about which you know nothing. The experts will eat you for lunch (even worse if this is done publically and an entire room or website gets to view your exposed ignorance).

On the other hand...when I know I am right, or have a reasonable belief of it, my opinion will come out and it will have no humility attached. Make a stupid comment about Immanuel Kant and I will tear you a new noumenon. I happen to be fairly well-educated and I have a great amateur interest in a variety of fields, meaning it is quite likely that you will run into a field where I have at least some expertise. Do not expect to be given any quarter. I am vicious when I am right, you are wrong, and you insist on arguing.

Fair warning given.

1 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, August 10, 2004 , Blogger Auskunft said...

That is something I just can't seem to grasp -- why people ignorant on a topic don't defer to those who are not. I see it a lot now as I am, for the next week or so yet, working with a high school marhing band. My years and years of musical study and professional performance experience got me the job of writing music for the band and teaching it. I know exactly what I am doing. Yet many of the students, with absolutely no musical credentials (or manners) mind you, feel fit to question or argue with me. Not only on the compositions, but on aspects of performance and technique also. Just shut the hell up and learn, maybe? I can make them champions, but only when they learn their place.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home