Tuesday, August 17, 2004

I'm Boned

I recently registered for the LSAT. I also got to answer some questions about my self for the Candidate Referral Service, so law schools can actively recruit me if I fit what they want.

But I'm white.

And heterosexual.

Yes, questions about race and sexual orientation did come up. "Want information about African-Americans and the law? Hispanics? Finno-Ugric lesbian dyslexics?"

I'm sorry, I'm bland. Plain. I'm not in a suspect class.

It's pretty distasteful even to be asked such questions, but (private) law schools have every right to discriminate. If they want phony "diversity" based merely on skin pigmentation while having a lockstep corps of identical minds, that's their business. I'm just trying to get in.

I wish I could hear a valid justification for this kind of "diversity." They don't owe that to me or to anyone, really, but if "diversity" is to be something other than an arbitrary standard, it needs justification. Intellectual diversity seems to be entirely ignored, though a degree-granting institute should make it a priority. It would seem necessary to provide the best education.

And yet...all this attention on the reflected light off your skin and what equipment gets your motor running.

I wonder if schools ever bother to get down to...teaching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home