Monday, September 08, 2008

Crisis Deferred

I'm in no immediate danger of Bad Things, although the financial aid office still hasn't done much of anything to help. The problem that ground the bureaucratic wheels to a halt has been remedied, so those wheels are now free to turn very, very slowly, but I am optimistic that I will be saved from poverty sometime within the next eleven days. Yep; it's been three or four weeks already, and my best-case scenario is having everything settled in a further week and a half, even though all the paperwork can't take more than fifteen minutes to process.

So, I have money, my rent is paid, and I have books. I'm still a law student. For now.

So, to more pleasant things? No, of course not, because this is 2008. We are having a presidential election, in case you didn't know, so otherwise sensible people talking about a wide variety of subjects have felt obligated to drop their common sense and talk endlessly about the minutest details of this stupid, shark-vaulting campaign. People have become partisans in a contest where the only clear way to win is not to participate.

I'm sick of it.

I'm not going to pretend that the candidates are equally bad, because they really aren't. Neither is very appealing, but one isn't a Marxist pseudointellectual, so I'll pass on any moral equivalence between them. It's sort of an easy decision now - there are no surprises with these dudes. One guy will tax you to death and act like an idiot overseas. The other dude will be belligerent and do aggressive things to other countries. Neither one will do anything about the immigration crisis except to amplify its ill effects.

This is the New Skeptic, but proper skepticism doesn't mean an eternally open mind. We know who the candidates are; it's enough already. If the election can't occur tomorrow, why can't we at least shut up about it until it does come?

I guess people like reading about this garbage, but I don't. Once again, my tastes are superior to yours. I can't wait until the election is over and sensible people can talk sensibly again.

So, any suggestions for how I avoid hearing about politics? I mean, even watching pro football I was subject to this crap. Should I go all Thinkery on you dudes again, and post nothing but abstract philosophy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home