Saturday, May 17, 2008

Österreich

Since the Seattle Times hasn't yet posted my comment to this, I'll put it here:

Austria and Germany both happened to be inhabited by people who spoke German; therefore, they were really the same. Similarly, if a Finnish Hitler wanted to annex, say, Hungary, we ought to let him, out of respect for Finno-Ugric kinship. If language were culture, this would all make sense, but it isn't, so it doesn't.

Hitler's idea of a Greater Germany was the artifact of a rapacious mind - if anything, Germany was a bit of political artifice created out of the scattered remnants of the Holy Roman Empire, and Austria was the "proper" ruler of the German peoples. Of course, to say that Austria ought to have ruled over Germany, or Germany over Austria, or any foreign power over anyone is really to assume that domination rather than self-rule is appropriate. Chamberlain's response to Hitler's "reasonable" demands resulted in the solidification of a machine of conquest and genocide.

My goodness, if you don't know central European history, then you can, you know, not talk about it. Acting as if there is an objectively correct geographical and political division of Europe that pigeon-holes certain people into the "real" Germany is ignorant.

5 Comments:

At 1:20 AM, May 19, 2008 , Blogger Nick Milne said...

I imagine you've seen the Chris Matthews video on this subject, yes? I don't much care for the man, and wouldn't watch his show even if I had a television, which I don't, but the exchange between himself and some fellow I've never heard of is highly instructive in a sad sort of way.

 
At 2:58 AM, May 19, 2008 , Blogger Vernunft said...

You'll have to link me.

 
At 6:16 AM, May 19, 2008 , Blogger Nick Milne said...

It's here. And it's actually even worse than I remember. D:

I mean, my God

 
At 3:13 PM, May 19, 2008 , Blogger Vernunft said...

Two fools talking over each other :hifive:

 
At 2:27 AM, May 20, 2008 , Blogger Nick Milne said...

And they get paid more money to do it than your education has cost you so far :hifive:

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home